broody hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatcrazychick, May 1, 2017.

1. thatcrazychick

thatcrazychick New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    West Michigan
    I have two buff Orpington hens that went broody on the same day. I already have enough chickens, but wanted to see if they'd go all the way thru, so I gave them each two fertile eggs. I've candled them at day 10, and one hen two viable eggs, and the other hens eggs are both doing nothing. So here's my question: Can I give one of the good eggs to the other hen so they each have one good one? I want to do what is best for the chicks, but otherwise will the hen with the bad eggs know that they are bad and stop her broody cycle? We are on day 12 and she is faithfully sitting on 2 infertile eggs...just not sure what to do going forward...thanks so much for any input.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

I'd give it a try. You're not going to know until you do!

3. thatcrazychick

thatcrazychick New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    West Michigan

I just want to make sure that would be okay for the chicks...will they be okay with just one hen and one chick, or would they be better off growing up together with just one hen?

4. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    If you were looking to get rid of the chicks when they hatch, depending on what breed, I could take them from you.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

I had a hen raise a single chick last year and it worked out just fine. Another thought - if you are wanting more chickens - is to pick up a couple of feed store chicks (if you can find some that are just a few days old) and slip them under your broodies once theirs start hatching.

Last edited: May 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by