Broody hen question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fancypants4569, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Fancypants4569

Fancypants4569 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    Prineville, Oregon
    I got a pair of cochin's about 3 weeks ago(roo & hen) The hen just went broody this morning and in the 3 weeks she's been here she's not layed an egg. She is 3 yrs old. Well, I slipped 3 banty eggs next to her and she tucked them under her. She's full size, and Im not sure if its ok for a full size hen to hatch our lil banty baby's...Has anyone tryed this? Will mom squash them? Is it worth a try?

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    People around here love their broodys! They even buy eggs to give to them. The mom may or may not squish them, you can only try to see. Broodys are the best at hatching chicks.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    i would say go for it, what could it hurt?

4. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I put a handful of d'uccle eggs under my black australorp. Her eggs are hatching right now. There's a tiny little d'uccle face peeking out from under her wing. There's also a little black chick that keeps hopping into the next nest box. I asked the same question recently. I was wondering if I should pull the chicks out after they hatch, but everyone seems to think they'll be fine. So I'm letting them stay with her and we'll see what happens.

5. Fancypants4569

Fancypants4569 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    Prineville, Oregon
    Grrr, false alarm I think...she layed her first egg here and now she's off the nest...she even puffed up her feathers at me when I put the eggs next to her...but I wont give up hope [​IMG]. I sure wish I had a bator, which leads me to say I am DEFINATLY going to try to make one of MissPrissy's bator's!!! Woohoo, I got chicken fever! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by