1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArizonaNessa, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I myself have never had my hens hatch their eggs but I have really gotten into the standard cochins and they make super moms. Anyway I was just thinking to myself after reading all about bators and such. How can a chicken do something that turns out to be so complicated for us for example temp and humidity control. You just can't make me believe that a chickens butt is better at it than a precise machine. I asked my mother this question and she told me that a broody hen will actually find water puddles and such and wet their under feathers a little before they sit on the eggs. Is that true or did they just have strange chickens and if I decide to allow my cochin to sit the eggs should I make water available that she can stand in? Just curious. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Broodies pluck their breast feathers so their moist skin is against the eggs, hence humidity control. Their body temps are about 102, so a couple of degrees less than that at egg level. It's the perfect system, no temp fluctuations under her, no power outages, etc. Mine never wet their feathers, so I have no idea where that came from.

3. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    well, Ive never heard about the water thing..

I just figure the humidity is from the birds sweat.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I have never seen our hens do that. And we have had our hens hatch quite a few chicks. I would think it would be more humidity from their warm, moist underbody. I mean, just the natural bsligtht moisture and humidity a body will generate dunno, theY MIGHT sit in puddles...but I kinda doubt it. [​IMG]

5. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah I guess if your hen has a power outage that would not be such a cool thing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by