broody hen question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 19, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I have read alot of post about broody hens but the question I have is how do you tell they are broody? right now I dont have to worry about that since my only laying hen just started laying and my only rooster is still a young fellow,but I would like to have babies this spring so wanted to know what to look for.
    My other question is I have a banty rooster and all my hens are silver cochins,brahmas,buff orp. all but one little banty hen- can Clyde still breed with my hens or do I need to get a rooster more thier size??

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Your little guy will have no trouble fertalizing eggs with your larger birds. I had a little Sizzle and he fertalized my Partridge Rock, Wyandotte and Rhode Island Reds as well as his little mates. Cute little mutts they were too.

You will know you hen is broody when she refuses to leave the nest. My girls will usually go in and then there is tons of squaking because someone want privacy and someone else is still sitting in the nest. If you approach her she will probably tuck her head and flex her wings and squak or hiss at you. She may get off the nest several times for the first few days but will spend much more time sitting then one day she will not leave at all.

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    thank you for solving that mystery for me. Glad to hear that little Clyde can do the deed- he is such a cute little guy love his big rooster in a small body personality. So when i do have a hen go broody what should I do for her? leave plenty of and water near nest I am sure does she need to be taken away from everyone or will they just know to leave her alone? and what age do hens go broody? they only hen I have old enough to lay right now is a Buff orp. her picture is my avatar right now she is about 5 months old ( give or take ).
    sorry for all the questions i swear the longer I have my chickens the more things I have to ask LOL

here is my only hen laying right now

[​IMG]

here is my rooster

[​IMG]

4. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I have 23 babies [​IMG] from 1 Black Silkie named Motorcycle this year. All 7 of his women are huge hens (Buff orpingtons, barred rocks, black australorps and light brahmas) and he is very "small" next to them!
    And I have to add: your little guy definitely looks like a Clyde!! That name fits him! [​IMG]
    Something to add to what jimnjay said about broodiness...another sure sign is when she stays on the nest overnight!
    Amy J.

5. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I have to admit Clyde is a handful - he does have a girl of the same breed ( black dutch bantams ) and yes her name is bonnie out of all the babies we have they are the ones that fly up in the tree, sneak out under the fence, sneak out of the " baby " yard they were all in when they were all younger chicks I had ordered all pullets of each breed but after a few weeks I noticed 4 of the 5 banty chicks were looking roosterish so I found homes for all but Clyde kinda grew on us so he is here to stay. I cant wait to see what kind of babies he and the bigger girls have -going to be some really funny looking mutts LOL

thanks for all the help with the broody hen questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by