Broody Hen Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mr chicken dude, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    So here's my question...If I have a Hen that goes broody and egg hatches will I be able to take the chick away and put it under a brooder...Because I was reading in the FAQ'S that if you have a hen that goes broody and the chick hatches you won't always be sure the chick will be tamed..I was just wondering if I could take it away when it hatches so I could be able to tame it...

The advantages of natural incubation (i.e. a broody hen) are that the hen
    does all the work for you and she will probably hatch out a high percentage
    of the eggs. The disadvantages are that you can only fit a certain amount of
    eggs under a broody hen, you can never tell when a hen will go broody, and
    you can't be sure her chicks will be tame.

Thanks,Collin

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    my birds came from a hatchery via the feed store, so never saw a broody hen, and i wouldn't call them tame... lol... they come to me when they think i have treats.. which is all the time.. they thing i'm made of them or somethign.. but they run if you try to pick them up....
    my leghorn is more spaztic than my EE's.... we did spend a lot of time with these when they were young because they were our first birds.. we have some barred rocks also from feed store that are almost as spaztic as the leghorn... they didn't get played with as much when they were younger.. but i'm not sure that would have made a difference...

if you want "tame" meaning friendly and lapchicken, it depends more on the breed i think than whether they were borrdy raised or human riased...

i could be wrong, and you could get 200 different opinions here... but my banty cochins are friendlier than any of my other birds.. and i've heard silkies are friendliest of all...
    i also think whether or not you have a rooster makes a difference.. they will come to you as their alpha roo if you don't have a roo...

just my 2 cents... not worth much at all... lol..

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I think it also has to do with how many chicks you have... when I was a kid I had 2 roosters(no hens) and they were the friendliest roos I have ever had.. I carried them around everywhere... My chicks now I had 20 too many to give enough time to spend with eachone...I gave 8 away and I am able to spend more time with each one... they seem to be getting friendlier...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by