broody hen question

Tecalli

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
State College, PA
Hi all, I have a 10mo. old blue ophington that went broody for the first time in late Feb. I have only 3 girls and no rooster so there is nothing for her to hatch. Based on advice I got from BYC I broke her broodiness by putting her in a wire cage with food and water and air flowing under her for 2 nights and 1 day. I placed the wire cage on top of two saw horses in my protected garage. That broke her of her broodiness and she was back to normal. Now just a little over a month later she is broody again, so I put her back in her wire cage last evening and will put her back with her flock tomorrow morning.

I feel bad taking her out and putting her in a cage by herself, and hate the thought of having to do this monthly. MY question is this-- if I just let her be broody until she is done on her own will she go broody less often? By breaking her of her broodiness am I increasing the frequency of her going broody? Is my choice between letting her be broody for two weeks and then her not being broody again for several months, or breaking her of her broodiness on a monthly basis?

Thanks for any advice!

I have a game hen that went broody the first of march. she is still sitting (on no eggs) as of this morning. i had thought about using the broody cage, but felt that this cycle is natural for them and they should go through it. We will see how she does, but I am ready for her to get out of the nest box and join the flock again.

Not sure if that gave you anything you were asking.

I really do not know if breaking them gets them to go broody more often. I don't think so, but I cannot answer for sure. However, in my opinion, it is better to break them if you are not going to give them eggs to hatch.

The natural cycle is for them to set on eggs for 21 days, raise their brood, then go back to not being broody. A broody with chicks will eat and drink a lot and keep her health fairly well. A broody setting on a nest most of the time does not get enough to eat or drink or enough exercise to keep her in top health. Being broody and setting on the nest weakens the hen, making her more susceptable to disease and parasites. Most can manage that and survive for several weeks. But some will stay broody for a very long time, even on no eggs. This is only my personal opinion, but I think it is cruel to not break a broody if you are not going to give her eggs.

Wow herefordlovinglady-- thats a LONG time to stay broody. I was thinking it would just last about 2 weeks.

Ridgerunner, what you are saying is in line with previous advice I received on a broody hen-- that if she wasn't going to hatch then I should try and break her of her broodiness for the sake of her health. You've reinforced that and I'll just plan on breaking her of her broodiness whenever she becomes broody.

I like my ophington, but next time I add any to my flock I will definitely look for a less broody breed. Thanks!

Broodiness is an individual thing and varies from hen to hen. Some hens will remain broody to the point that they physically debilitate themselves as Ridgerunner said. You might try letting your hen remain broody for 21 days the normal cycle then put her in the wire cage to break her. Be aware that it may take more than a day or two oin the cage to accomplish this. This way you would be more closely approximating the normal cycle.

Quote:
I love BYC. You think you are doing the right thing and then BAM, you receive some very good information. I am starting to get concerned about her, her comb is not as bright as usual. She does get off the nest and eat and drink, but she does not go out and stay for very long. I guess I was thinking that the broody cage was kind of cruel, but realistically what I am doing is not much better.

Tecalli thanks for starting this thread, it has helped me too.

if i put her in the broody cage now, how will know when she is no longer broody?

Comb color is also related to hormones, and a broody hen isn't laying. So it's not necessarily an indication of ill health. I weigh mine daily to make sure they're not losing too much weight, and I also make sure they get off the nest to eat and drink several times a day. I offer special treats (like mealworms), too.

herefordlovinglady, here's a thread I found very useful on breaking a broody hen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289&p=1

The advice I was given is that a few days in the cage ("broody breaker") should be enough to break her of her broodiness. After a few days take her out and put her back with the flock. If she runs around outside and hangs with the flock, then her broodiness has been broken. If she goes back to sit in the nest box, then a few more days in the broody breaker is needed.

I got a nice large wire rabbit cage at Tractor Supply for about $22 as my broody breaker. Looks like I will be getting some use out of it.

I have 9 chickens, all different breeds, no rooster. My Silky is sitting on the nest with all the eggs under her, unless I take them.. My question is: Why won't the other chickens use the other 2 nest we have for them.?
barnie.gif
:barnie They are laying their eggs in the bushes or under the deck or even on top of the coop. I think they need a chicken head doctor.

Back
Top Bottom