broody hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flash5153, Sep 27, 2010.

1. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    She went broody about 2 weeks ago. I got some eggs from a neighbor that I thought were fertile,6 days later, I candled them and no good.
    So I took 4 of my own eggs, that 1 in 4 are fertile, and put them under her,waited 7 more days. Candled them ,,no good.

Yesterday I found 2 eggs from a different neighbors ducks. In a nest under the pool deck. I am almost certain these are fertile. I put them under my broody hen. They were laid with in a few days.
    Im wondering how long will she stay broody and is this a good idea?? Its been 2 weeks, she hardly ever leaves the nesting box. Im worried it might kill her trying to hatch another set of eggs. But then again I dont know how to stop her. She stays in there ,,eggs or no eggs.

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    If you want her to hatch babies and are worried about her health put food and water close to her and she will eat and drink if she does not have to get up off the nest.She will probalby stay broody untill she has babies,Do you know anyone that will have day old chicks?If so at night you could put those under her and take out the eggs and she will start being a mama.If you don`t want her broody try taking her off the nest every morning and putting her out side and closing the poop door and any other door so she can`t get back in and get on the nest.Allow her in at night and put something in the nest so she can`t sit and do this everyday untill she gets tired of the hassel.

3. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Update:

I candled the duck eggs,,,they are developing. Were gona have some baby ducks soon. I hope everything goes OK from here out. It has been 12 days. Should be due around the 24th.

Our first babies so Im gona have some questions as gets closer. Im already wondring if I need to seperate them from hen when they hatch. I have the means to do that. The same box and heat lamp I raised the chicks with when I first got them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by