1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kylee2katie, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I have a muskovy hen (also a pekin and a mallard hen) who have been laying for several months. I collect eggs daily and this has never been an issue - until today....I let them all out of the night pen this morning and everyone went running out, as usual, except the skovy. She is sitting on the nest (which is a plastic dog house with hay inside). I tried to reach in to shoo her out and get the eggs and she fluffed up and tried repeatedly to bite me!!
    I tried for about 3 hours to get her off and get the eggs and finally gave up...
    What is the best way to handle this? I do not want babies till spring....If she gets off later, are the eggs still ok to eat or will they not actually be "growing" for several days of her setting?
    I don't want to do anything that will traumatize her for future sittings, but I really don't want easter (or new years) babies!!
    Thanks for any advice!!

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    A broody hen usually gets off once a day, so maybe just wait til then to pull out the eggs. If she's only been sitting on them for a day no growth would of started so you can take em out, but maybe eat them straight away as I don't think its good to heat up eggs then leave em at the back of the carton [​IMG]

Hope this helps - my hen lets me take out and put in eggs so haven't experienced this difficulty yet [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You really cant see anything of the development in the egg after 36- 48 hours of being sat on. After that- you would most likely see some small blood spots when opening the egg.

Broodies can be tough to stop once they really get the mind set to sit. I have a girl who I tried to get off a nest. Within hours she had found another nest when the broody sitting on that one got up for a drink. Now they are sharing it. I dont want any more ducklings at the moment so would rather neither of them were sitting. I remove eggs daily and they still sit there sometimes. I have found that if I let them sit for a few days- then remove all the eggs- mess up the nest- and cover the area with a board it is usually more successful. It kind of messes with their egg laying routine. Ducks can still lay an egg a day for a few days after they start to sit- once they are no longer laying- thats when I move them- as it takes a few more days before they start to lay again and in those few days they usually have lost their broodiness.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I just let them hatch some eggs; we eat some of them anyway. Yesterday I was watching day old chicks that hadn't even learned to eat/drink, out from under mama, not touching her, and asleep in 55 degree weather, on hay. When the chick gets cold it will go under mama. I raise my chicks with broodies; I really wonder how chicks survive 95-100 degree brooders. If your coop is nice and snug and non-drafty you could consider it. Or if you have something like a garage that isn't really warm but not really cold, you could put them in there. Or a shed that you could "insulate" with bales of hay, or the like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by