Broody hen question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austinhart123, Apr 19, 2008.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    As of yesterday my frizzle/silkie has gone broody in my chick n barn! She is very protective of her eggs and keeping them nice and warm!! My question is i want to move the nest boxes around so it is easier to collect eggs/observe the broody hen better, so should i do it now, after dark, or wait till shes been setting longer?

2. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    ummm does anyone want to answer??????

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's best to seperate the broody from the general laying flock. It's best to not have other hens adding eggs to the broody nest.

This keeps distractions to a minimum for mom and will keep the new born safe from the rest of the flock when they are hatched and near the nest.

You will need to provide fresh water and feed for mom near the nest, as well as chick starter and chick waterers for the newbies once they arrive. Mom will show them where the feed and water is once they hatch.

Broody good moms are priceless and need to be given their own private space to avoid any problems that would or could develop otherwise....
    hope this helps some?

bigzio

4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Kay but when is the best time to move her?

5. Hi!
    If you want to move your broody hen, it would best be done in the dark.
    Even then, I would suggest some sort of enclosure to keep her in the immediate area of the new nest.
    Otherwise, she might try to go back to the old nest even after you've moved the eggs.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    okay thank you guys im goin out in a half hour to move her

7. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    stage 1 complete... if she setts in the new location, i will post pics tomorrow

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hope you have good luck with the move!

I choose to build nest boxes that can be removed with the broody and her eggs. Then I have another to replace the one that was removed.

It can be as simple as a housing frame to accept cardboard boxes, or more elabrate framed nests.

It makes the move easy, and the broody mom feel at home when moved. [​IMG]

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by