broody hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mystary, May 13, 2008.

1. Mystary

Mystary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Jackson, GA
    I have a broody orpington hen right now. I have 2 batches of eggs in the incubator. One set is due to hatch on Friday, the others in about 2 weeks from now. Is it possible to put the eggs that are ready to hatch on Friday under her? Would she accept the eggs and then the chicks?

Tina

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    How long has she been setting? This will depend on how broody she is and at what stage. You could set her with eggs from your eggs that is due in 2 weeks if she just started setting. At day 14 I would candle them and set her then or you can set her now with those eggs.
    Best of luck

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It is not a good idea to put eggs that only have a few days under a broody, especially if she has never hatched before. I have tried it twice and both times the little girls pecked at the eggs as they started to hatch. Chickens can't county but they know when something is not right and a egg they sat on for only 4 to 5 days is not right for them. If you are going to move eggs you could move the ones that have longer to go and you will have better luck. JMHO

4. Mystary

Mystary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Jackson, GA
    The BO just went broody a couple of days ago. I guess I will have to take out the 9200 LG and hatch the chicks due Friday. Thanks for the advice.

Tina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by