broody hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by danaalex, Nov 7, 2011.

1. danaalex

danaalex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    i have eggs under a broody silkie. today should be hatch day, however i'm not expecting them to 100% hatch. it's been cold, she stayed off of them one night because she sat on someone else's eggs, etc. so, my question is, how many extra days should i wait? i was thinking three. i have chicks that i would like to stick with her regardless of these eggs hatching. so i don't want to wait too too long, but don't' want to jump the gun and then have her give up.

thanks!

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

3 should be fine. have you tried candling them?

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I had a broody sit on eggs on and off for 26 days before they hatched, so three days extra might not be enough!

4. danaalex

danaalex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    i did candle them awhile ago. but, not since. i gave them a once over today while she was off, but didn't have anything out with them to candle them and i think she'd be really angry if i took them back to the house with me, LOL! i might tomorrow. they were growing and doing well last time i checked ( and i forget when that was). my concern is only that extended period of time she wasn't on them and the low temps. i figured a couple extra days would be needed. i guess i'll go as long as 6 days. can't hurt at this point. :)

thank you!

5. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    If she got off, then hatch isn't any time today. They go into lockdown like we do with our incubators.

I'd give her at least 3 days, since you never know when they eggs were set and such. Plus the cold slows them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by