Broody Hen question..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheSheriffswife, Dec 2, 2011.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Hi guys..I have a question hopefully I can get some advice on.. I had one of my New Hampshires go broody around Thanksgiving. I tried in vain to stop her but she just continued going and staying in the nest box in the coop. So I kind of gave up and figured I'll just put some eggs under her and let her go at it..I gathered some differetn eggs and placed them under her..She is doing well at it, she comes out once in a while and then goes right back over them, but last few days I haven't seen her come out..
    Now of course my worry is the weather and the cold..I'm pretty sure these are all fertile so they prob will hatch.
    My question is this.. I have a large 6x4 brooder in my garage and I'm wondering should I bring her in there and let her hatch there so that once the chicks are born they are not in the cold coop and I'm also worried the other chickens will hurt the babies..
    Or once they hatch out there should I just take the babies and brood them myself in the garage? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You ask several different people for opinions and you will get several different opinions. Myself I would give her, her own space.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I would move her prior to hatch, during the night. Moving her at night will lower the amount of stress you will be putting on her. Fair warning though, A hen will sometimes leave her nest if moved. After all are hatched would be another opportunity to move her, before the chicks start exploring. The other chickens or the mom could harm the chicks whether it is intentional or not.

4. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Thanks for the advice you guys.. [​IMG] I think I will mover her into the brooder in the garage prior to hatch.

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Now you have me wondering...

I have a muscvy duck who turned broody. She has 11 eggs. She also is doing a great job, and if these sweet eggs hatch I worry about the ducklings in the cold (and also with a total of 14 chickens/ducks in the coop & run, which includes 2 very large muscovy drakes & a fiesty roo named Marylou!)

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I always prefer to separate any broody mama from the rest of the flock. Other males or females can harm the offspring, and a protective mama can also hurt the babes even if she does not mean too.

7. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Great advice..Now, also..once the babes hatch, do I leave the Mom in the brooder with them? or should she go back with the others? I would just do the heat lamps like I normally do for the little ones..(I actually went out and moved her to the garage brooder, (It is large 6x4 so she had it all to herlself ..she ate drank and went right into the small dog crate that I put the eggs in and she is laying on them now [​IMG] I also figure I can keep a better eye on her that she's eating and drinking..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by