Broody Hen Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweetshoplady, Sep 12, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    For Gypsy's safety I put her in the bathtub to hatch her eggs. My question is will there be a problem as far as her rank in the flock since she has not been out with the others?

How will the other chickens react when I bring her back out with her little family? When should I bring them out to integrate them?

I have 3 little red roos who are about 5 weeks old that came with my guineas (headed for the frying pan). But 2 of them are pretty mean toward the quail and have pecked at the quail (who are in a cage). I guess the motto of my flock is that "if its smaller than you, peck it." I don't know how they'll be toward the new chickies.

I'm excited because I don't know what is going to hatch out. I think a couple will be Delawares, but the rest will be mixes. Delaware roo and Black Star, EE, RIR. Possible Brahma cross if Bart did anything.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Most people move their broodys to a safe spot to hatch their chicks. So, when it's time to reintegrate the hen with her chicks there usually isn't a problem. Hens are usually very tough to other chickens when they have babies - they are generally very protective and will take on any other chicken that gets too close to those babies.

There are many different thoughts about reintroducing a hen with chicks. Some people put them in the flock immediately and trust that the hen will protect them. I waited two weeks until the chick was older and could get around itself much faster. In my situation, my hen did a great job watching over her one baby but several times it would have gone bad for the chick if I hadn't of been there (when they were first put back with the flock) as several other hens started to mess with the chick at the same time. Even the best momma can't protect from all sides. Also, one of my barn cats took a 'liking' (think finger linkin good! [​IMG]) to the chick and I had to really watch the chick to help protect her from a smart cat. It all worked out just fine for me but I'll definitely wait until my next chicks are also, at least, two weeks old before reintroducing momma to the flock with them.

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Thanks! [​IMG] So I guess my bathroom will be a brooder for Gypsy and her band. (I told my mom that this group of chicks are the "Band of Gypsy's")

How long will the mama hen protect her babies or think of them as her chicks?

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    sweetshoplady asked:
    How long will the mama hen protect her babies or think of them as her chicks?

This varies depending on the momma hen. Mine was a momma for about 5 weeks and then she was done. Some are mommies longer and some not even that long.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by