Broody hen questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pipers chicks, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Pipers chicks

Pipers chicks In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2018
    Hey, so I raise chicks and I'm thinking if I get a broody hen or two it would make my job much easier. I've never had a broody hen and have someone questions.
    First, will a hen take chicks right away, or do you have to let her set on some eggs first?
    And second, how many times a year will she normally go broody? Are there any ways you can make her go broody more often?

True Patriot likes this.
  2. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    First question, depends on the hen, breed, and temperament. And next 2 questions, I don't think there's anything you can do to make/change a hen going broody. Others may have more insight on this.

casportpony likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    From what I've read most hens will only take chicks towards the end of the cycle, around the time when the eggs/fake eggs they're sitting on would naturally hatch.

You can't control broodiness. You can't make them go broody. They'll do it when it's inconvenient sometimes. Some birds go broody constantly (which if you're wanting chicks regularly, is the bird you'd want) and some might only go broody once a year, if that.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Jun 24, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    My Coop
    Usually they need to sit on eggs first.

Depends on the hen, maybe 3 times a year? To make them go broody quicker, separate the chicks sooner.

WVduckchick likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Send her to my house for a day. She'll catch the broody bug guaranteed! It spreads like wildfire!

:lau :lau

Seriously though.... Some breeds are more prone to broodiness, like silkies, bantam cochins, Old English, Seramas. So choosing a breed more likely to go broody will increase your chances. There are always exceptions either way though.

Some say that leaving eggs (fake or real) in the nest box will encourage them to sit. I've never had to do that, so I can't confirm it from experience.

casportpony likes this.
  6. Pipers chicks

Pipers chicks In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2018
    Thanks!!!

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: