Broody hen questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Huntress78, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Huntress78

Huntress78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    A couple weeks ago I had a hen injured by a rooster. She was in bad shape when I found her, torn open and half froze, going into shock. I put her in a large dog crate with a heat lamp and in an hour she was perking up. In about 3 days she was preening, eating and drinking very well and on the road to recovery. She didn't lay for about the first week but now she has started laying again.
    Yesterday I took out her egg and noticed that there was a small chunk of 'flock block' next to it. (I gave her the piece of flock block to relieve boredom.) This morning I watched her dig out a nest in the shavings and move the chunk of block under her like it was an egg. She's now sitting on the 'chunk'.
    I've never had a broody before so is this what she's doing? She will be in the crate at least another 2-3 weeks so should I let her brood a clutch? Her eggs are not fertile so if you all think it's OK then do I put a bunch of eggs in all at once or a couple a day? If you all think it's too stressful for her then I guess I'll just let her brood the 'chunk'?[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she is laying, she is not broody. She could be tucking the chunk under her as just nesting behavior. Give her time to heal, and if she quits laying, starts fluffing up and growling at you, makes soft cluck sounds or plucks her belly.................then she's broody.

3. Huntress78

Jul 17, 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    She is making the soft clucks and sitting all fluffed up but no growling or plucking.
    So should I remove the 'chunk' or just let her have it?

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If she's happy sitting on her chunk, why take it?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Give her some eggs! The worst that can happen is you'll have to throw them out if she isn't broody. She could just be getting into the whole sitting thing (which would explain why she's still laying). Give the eggs you want her to sit on all at the same time. Good luck!
    Nikki

6. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    I vote for giving the chicken some eggs.
    Like 6 or 8 all at the same time. Then mark your calendar [​IMG]

7. Huntress78

Jul 17, 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    Yesterday she really protested when I took her egg out (she's never done that before) but today she was more interested in treats than her egg. I guess I'll just watch her for a few days to see how she reacts. She's healing well but I don't think I want to put her back with the flock for a few weeks yet. I just thought that if she was getting broody it would give her something to do...she seems pretty bored in the hospital crate.

Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by