broody hen quit, can the eggs be saved?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bonder, Apr 4, 2011.

1. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    My broody hen quit on me. It's day 10 (I think). The eggs were cold when I went out tonight to check on her. She was up on the roost with the rest of the flock. I candled the eggs but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. They look "okay" from what I've read on here.
    Can they still hatch even after she let them get cold? I suppose it's about 50* in the coop.

I don't have an incubator so for now, the eggs are in a basket, on the stove with the oven on low. I'm not interested in purchasing an incubator (that would be enabling my addiction) but I had my husband convinced that a broody hen was just so natural and easy we HAD to let her set.
    Anyone ever hatch eggs in the house without a hen and without an incubator?
    Thanks!!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Hi,
    Well, it depends on how cold they got and for how long. I did hear about one member who hatched eggs in her bra... Maybe DH will give in when he hears that![​IMG] I have hatched eggs my broody quit on, just stuck them in a Bator. Good luck Deb

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    have you got a heat lamp? you will need 1 of those anyway but if the eggs have gotten too cold its probably a lost cause.

4. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My broody silkie quit on me just about the same time frame. I brought the six eggs in, put them in the incubator and 3 of 6 were viable. On hatch day, 2 hatched out , one died, but I have 2 beautiful bantam sultan chicks. Even though you don't have a 'bator, give it a try!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by