Broody Hen Raising Ducks?

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
So, do you think a broody hen could healthfully raise a small batch of ducks? The ducks just hatched, and since the girl has been broody for over a month, I was figuring I could pop a few ducklings under her tonight. But, on second thought, do ducklings thrive if raised by a broody chicken rather than a duck momma? I was going to give her the little drakelings, since I don't mind if they are more skiddish (they're gonna be roast duck eventually!), and brooder raise the others.

I have a little OEGB that sat on three duck eggs (pekin), she sat on the faithfully for a month and she raised them until they were big enough that she got tired of them and I could get rid of them....it was so cute to watch....she would call to them to eat and drink and they would run right up to her like chicks do....it was super cute!!!!!!

Thanks. As soon as it was completely dark outside I went out and slipped her the younguns while taking away her wooden eggs. I made sure not to shine any light on her so she hopefully stayed sleepy. As soon as they were under her she just snuggled down as flat as a pancake and settled in again. I'll be outside at dawn to make sure she and the new brood are OK. I assume since she has been setting at least month, her mommy hormones are ready for chick raising?

Back
Top Bottom