Broody hen rejecting adoptive chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildAC, Feb 18, 2012.

1. WildAC

WildAC New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Almost two weeks ago, my salmon faverolle hen went broody. Her eggs weren't fertilized so I decided to buy baby chicks for her to raise. Last night, we took her eggs out and replaced them with 4 baby chicks. She seemed to accept them. It's almost noon and she is still in her nest. One of the chicks came out and was chirping since he is probably hungry. The hen looked at it and then she pecked it. The chick chirped even louder and ran away. I took it and put it under the hen again. I am not sure if she is rejecting them or has accepted them. She is sitting on them and does seem to call to them but when they come out from under her she pecks them. What should I do? Should I pick her up from the nest and put her in the chicken run with the chicks? I know the chicks are hungry and I did put some food and water close to the hen so when they come out they can eat but they probably don't want to come out since she pecks them. I want the hen to accept them so any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm, it ain't lookin' good. Tonight, I would take the chicks out and feed and water them. Then put them back under her and be there at dawn when she wakes up. Keep an eye on her and see if she likes them at all. If not, you better take them away and brood them yourself. Putting chicks under a broody is always a crap shoot. I wish you luck.......Pop

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a great idea, taking them out to feed a water. Hope you get things to work out!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hens vary a lot, some won't accept chicks at all. You have to take it as it comes. I have several Brahma hens who will just stand up and accommodate under their wings any chicks which are placed in front of them, but not all hens will do this.

Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by