Broody Hen- Reoccuring Mama?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarnChickyOO, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BarnChickyOO

BarnChickyOO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    I have a hen, who recently hatched 4 chicks for the first time.
    My question is, do you think i can count on her to hatch me chicks in the Spring, or was this a one-shot-broody-deal?

Or, perhaps, better rephrasing my question, are hens usually wanting to hatch again after the first time? Do they become better and more experienced mothers?

Sorry, I don't know if I said that the way I wanted to. I hope someone understands what I was trying to ask. :/

Thanks.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    once a mama, always a mama. lol i did , just for fun today , to see what would happen, my silkie hen is in the brooder with her 2 little doodles , they are about 2 weeks old. i gathered the eggs from the coop and put them in the brooder and when i finished my work i went to look and her and the babies were sitting the eggs !! lol of course im not going to let her keep them because its not good on the hen to not have a break but she was more then willing. all breeds are different, i had a rir that sit once and that was it but for the most part, if they did it once they will do it again

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never had one go broody and never go broody again. If they go broody once, it's usually repeated, though I can't say it will necessarily be in the spring. Most of my broodies this year were during the summer. And I had 10 broodies this year - all but one a repeat broody.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i often wonder why she did that once and not again. she was a good sitter but no babies, the roo wasnt doing his job

5. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Maybe none of them hatching discouraged her?

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    maybe. dont know what i would do about it now though. i didnt think rir even went broody

7. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Do you know what Tetra-Tints are?

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    nooooo, is it a type of chicken?

9. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Tetra-Tints are a cross between a White Leghorn and a Rhode Island Red. They are bred for good feed-to-egg conversion.

That's what my broody is. I was amazed.
    I guess all chickens wanna be mamas sometimes. ;) lol.

10. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Kind of. They can be found at Tractor Supply. I absoloutly LOVE THEM. Not good breeding stock or anything, but definitely great egg layers.
    Look it up for pictures. Kinda funny looking sometimes, but definitely good producers. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by