Broody Hen- Reoccuring Mama?

BarnChickyOO

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Proudly Born in the USA
I have a hen, who recently hatched 4 chicks for the first time.
My question is, do you think i can count on her to hatch me chicks in the Spring, or was this a one-shot-broody-deal?

Or, perhaps, better rephrasing my question, are hens usually wanting to hatch again after the first time? Do they become better and more experienced mothers?

Sorry, I don't know if I said that the way I wanted to. I hope someone understands what I was trying to ask. :/

Thanks.

once a mama, always a mama. lol i did , just for fun today , to see what would happen, my silkie hen is in the brooder with her 2 little doodles , they are about 2 weeks old. i gathered the eggs from the coop and put them in the brooder and when i finished my work i went to look and her and the babies were sitting the eggs !! lol of course im not going to let her keep them because its not good on the hen to not have a break but she was more then willing. all breeds are different, i had a rir that sit once and that was it but for the most part, if they did it once they will do it again

I've never had one go broody and never go broody again. If they go broody once, it's usually repeated, though I can't say it will necessarily be in the spring. Most of my broodies this year were during the summer. And I had 10 broodies this year - all but one a repeat broody.

Last edited:
I've never had one go broody and never go broody again. If they go broody once, it's usually repeated, though I can't say it will necessarily be in the spring. Most of my broodies this year were during the summer. And I had 10 broodies this year - all but one a repeat broody.
i often wonder why she did that once and not again. she was a good sitter but no babies, the roo wasnt doing his job

Tetra-Tints are a cross between a White Leghorn and a Rhode Island Red. They are bred for good feed-to-egg conversion.

That's what my broody is. I was amazed.
I guess all chickens wanna be mamas sometimes. ;) lol.

Back
Top Bottom