Broody Hen (s) and Muscovy duck

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by rickardson, Apr 8, 2013.

1. rickardson

rickardson In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Soooooooooooooo,
    I tried to incubate eggs last month and I couldn't get any to hatch, so right at the end of incubator cycle one of my hens went broody. When none of the eggs from the incubator didn't hatch I let her sit on some eggs and duck eggs. Then two days later my muscovy hen went broody laying with the hen. I collected some duck eggs and put in under her. Then another hen went broody a week ago. I was able to get some fertilzed eggs from a fellow chicken farmer for that hen to lay on.
    But now the eggs get all mixed up between hens. They all lay next to each other , so I'm wondering what will happen when or if some of the eggs hatch. and the other eggs have way more time left to hatch. Will one of the hens stay broody? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally cobrooding in my experience has resulted in very poor hatch rates. Most frequently the mothers leave the nest within 36 hours of the hatching of the first chicks - just leaving the rest of the eggs.

3. rickardson

rickardson In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    So one of the duck eggs hatched and I saw a beak pecking through one of my polish chicken eggs. The duckling had a wound on both sides of the head. I've got two chickens brooding next to each other and a Muscovy duck. I don't want the hens to kill the duckling, any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: