Broody hen(s) - at end of tether!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roni, May 12, 2010.

1. Roni

Roni Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Essex
    Hi all

Ok-dokey - last week, 1 broody hen, kept taking her off nest, she eats, she drinks, she poops (poooeeey!) then runs back to the nest again. Three days ago, hen number two does exactly the same! Now tonight, just got home from work, three broody hens!! ggggrrrrr!! I have one large dog crate so the other night, I put henny number one into dog crate with a bowl of food and water and kept her in the kitchen overnight (poor doberman had to sleep on mummy and daddy's bed for night as chicken had taken over kitchen!!!). When I put her out in the garden again the next morning before I went to work, she ran straight for the nest so I put her in the crate and moved it to the coop while I went to work and again when I came home from work, she ate, she drank, she pooped (that was really bad!!) and then went straight back to the nest. I've read lots on the internet about broody hens - one about ducking in them in a bowl of cold water (does this really help???) and the other about separating them from the flock and putting them in a crate of some sort until it breaks them. I only have one dog crate and now it looks like three broodies! I have four hennies and have had two eggs when I got home from work tonight so one has only just gone broody. What do I do now??? I love my babies but I thought keeping chickens would be easy!! I don't have the option of getting a cockerel or fertilised eggs as I live in a built up area. Any suggestions? I would be extremely, extremely, extremely grateful!!! (You get the idea!!).

Thank you
    xx

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Once it is dark, take hen out of nest, put on roost. That is what we've done, may take a few nights. They are stubborn little biddies!

3. Roni

Roni Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Essex
    Thanks for replying.. The only prob is they don't have roosts. (????!!!) When we got them last year, we put a roost in the hen house for them too but none of them have used it so we took it out again!! (they are orpingtons - do orpingtons roost or nest??!! I'm confused!!!) And yes, they are stubborn little biddies!! Oh my lordy, I never thought a little chickie would frustrate me so much!! (but I do love em to pieces, wondered how I lived without having chickens all this time!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by