Broody Hen(s)!

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
Ok so I had one broody hen sitting on a clutch of eggs and a few days later another one of my hens went broody over the same clutch of eggs. She sits in the nest box next to the first hen and when that hen gets up she sits tight on that hens eggs until she gets back then the first hen reclaims her eggs. So most of the time the second hen is sitting on nothing and acting like she’s on a nest of eggs. Is that normal…or are they using the buddy system because its been so cold here. And what happens if some chicks hatch, should I be worried that a custody battle is on its way over who gets to raise the chicks.

When one of my hens went broody the same thing happened. The hen would get off the nest for the 1st couple weeks for about an hour and another hen would (not always) sit on them for her. The only problem I had was I would find other chickens eggs in the nest. The hen ended up sitting on other hens eggs as well as hers. I had an easy time telling cause she lays white eggs and the others are all brown layers. I have read that the other hens may mess with the broody eggs and that you are supposed to separate her from the flock. I did end up moving my hen while she was on the eggs and it went really well...I was afraid moving her would cause her to leave them, but it didn't. good luck!

It is not that unusual for two hens to go broody about the same time on the same nest. They are not doing the buddy system. They just both went broody.

Some people have broodies that can share a hatch and raise them together. Some have broodies that will fight for custody, sometimes with the chicks getting hurt or killed in the fights. Sometimes a hen will kill the chicks hatching under the other hen. I know it is cute and sweet when the two hens actually work together to raise the chicks, but I consider the risk of something bad happening too great to take that chance and would personally break one of the broodies.

If they work out well together, I think you should let them keep going the way they are and when the chicks hatch, split them up between them, so each group of chicks has plenty of room to sleep under each hen so they won't be cold.

Back
Top Bottom