Broody hen? Should I just let her be?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldeneggtees, Nov 11, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I already wrote a post about how to get Mrs. Cuddlesworth to stop being broody and didn't get too many responses. I now have her alone is a part of the coop with no shavings, just bare cold floors. She does have a roost in the form of an old table. Fresh feed and water is also available. So my question is this, she looks so pathetic in there by herself. Can I just let her continue to be broody in her nesting box without any hope of hatching her unfertilized eggs? Or will she just waste away and never snap out of it? I am thinking of getting fertilized eggs but not totally sure yet.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    either stop her from setting or get fertile eggs from an outside source, because its not good for her to set and set and not be stopped. She will decrease her eating, loose weight and when she is finished, she will need to recooperate from her brooding. She will brood until she hatches a clutch, so it wouldn't be good to keep her on wooden eggs. She might die. I already used a hen to set on duck eggs twice (taking them away 2 days before hatching to put in the incubator) and then the 3rd time giving her chicken eggs and letting her finish. My mom fussed me for it too. They won't give up easily when they have their mind on setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by