broody hen..should i let her hatch eggs before winter?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by unclejohn, Oct 31, 2014.

1. unclejohn

unclejohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    i am thinking no because my coop is not heated and the chicks will probably die wont they?

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    My grandfather's old english game bantams lived in an unheated detached garage and they would come out in the snow with fuzzy baby chicks in tow. They would get under momma hen when they got cold.

3. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    As long as mama has a place that is sheltered from wind and weather, then she can raise the babies just fine. When they get cold they will begin peeping loudly, (telling her they are cold I suppose) and she will find a spot to hunker down and let the babies snuggle up in her fluff to warm themselves.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I would say it depends on where you live. The mama will wean the chicks at about 4 weeks or so. So, if you set one now, they'll hatch around the end of November. They'll be on their own around the end of December. I don't know if they would have enough feathers by then or be big enough to generate enough body heat on their own to live in an unheated coop when it could be in the double-digits below zero by then. Now, if you live in a warmer climate where it doesn't get below freezing (or maybe even below zero) I don't see a problem with it.

5. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Very true. I didn't think to mention the dependence on climate. Living in Texas, I tend to forget how frigid other areas of the country can get, and how early.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Living in Minnesota, I tend to forget that some people get to be warm in the winter. [​IMG]

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm in Northern Wyoming and just had a chick hatch either late Tuesday nite or early Wednesday morning, I'm not sure which. He had a rough first day, but now he's out there running around with Mom and learning how to be a big chicken! A broody this late in the year is not the way I'd chosen to have done it, but since this was my little granddaughter's chicken and I'm a pushover where my grandkids are concerned, we ordered some hatching eggs. I'll never do shipped eggs again, but we are thrilled with this little guy. I've learned one valuable lesson - no matter what time of year, those ladies usually know exactly what to do

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Congratulations on your little guy! I agree that the mama knows what to do, I just wonder about after she's decided to wean them and they're on their own. I honestly can't say I have experience with it since I don't let my broodies hatch this late for that very reason. It's just something to think about.

9. unclejohn

unclejohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Yeah I am in manitoba canada, and it's already dipping below freezing here at night! So I have just been collecting the eggs now. Winters here are very cold, -25 is a normal winter day but it gets to -30 often. Ohhhhh man, that just reminds me of what's coming!

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If it were me, I'd be collecting the eggs, too. We don't get quite that cold on a daily basis, but it does get there at some point in the winter, sometimes for a couple weeks at a time. I'm not looking forward to it, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by