Broody hen sitting on fake eggs for too long

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Talka, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Talka

Talka In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    I have a 6 month old hen who laid her first batch of eggs in a box I prepared for her. Since I don't want any more chickens, I took all the eggs and replaced them with fake ones. She's been sitting on them for a little more than 3 weeks. I thought that after 3 weeks she will get up if nothing comes out of them, but I was mistaken. With every day that goes buy she's getting more aggressive, and I think that today she's been feeling ill - she wouldn't eat, she pooped in her nesting box (and kept sitting there) and her waddle and comb lost their red vibrant color.
    What do I do now? if I take the box away, will she go back to normal?

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. BaaKaaawk

BaaKaaawk Crowing

Apr 4, 2011
    Huntersville, NC
    You need to cool her off to break the cycle. Usually people trying to "break" the brood put the hen in a wire box. If they have eggs and a hard bottom... they're gonna sit the full length, and/or more.

chrissynemetz and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    "Broody Jail" = Wire cage, remove the tray, put 1 x 2 wire on the base, food & water, suspend so air circulates for about 3+ days. If you're not hatching, it's best to break them of the "broodiness" ... I used to try removing & let them break on their own until I read & saw how it affects their health. One of mine ended up loosing so much weight in a very short time, then their immunity is compromised. BJ works sooner the better..

Talka, BaaKaaawk and chrissynemetz like this.
  4. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Grandkids and chickens, what more could you want

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    If you search Broody Breaker on here you can find lots of good advice on the subject. Some girls will brood eggs long enough to become ill, and potentially die if you don't break them. Has she been leaving the nest to eat and drink before now?

Talka, BaaKaaawk and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Make it impossible for her to get to her nest site and check her for mites. Frequently setting hens develop severe mite infestations.

6. Talka

Talka In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    I've been treating her and the nesting box for mites so that shouldn't be a problem.

7. Talka

Talka In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    Can I simply remove the box? She doesn't have a coop, I just put a cardboard box with some hay in it, on a plastic shelf.

8. Talka

Talka In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    She's been eating and drinking up until today. Today she would only drink water.
    Since she does not have a coop, do you think I can just remove the nesting box?

9. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Grandkids and chickens, what more could you want

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Try removing the nest box and see if it works, but if she's really stubborn she might try to find a different spot to brood in. Some chickens break easy, some take a lot of work.

ChickNanny13, sourland and Talka like this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes.

ChickNanny13 and chrissynemetz like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: