Broody hen sitting on turkey eggs

PaigeReddan

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2016
HI everyone!
This is my first post AND my first time letting my broody hen sit on eggs. We are three days from a 21-25 day hatch and I am wondering what I need to know! Seems like much of the advice here is for incubator hatches. I guess my hen will know what to do ?!
She has been a great broody mama so far. She is the top hen in the yard (of four) so I haven't keep her isolated from the others. Should I take precautions to do so as the chicks hatch? Any advice is welcomed!
Paige

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! We have quite a bit of hen hatching going on here, but they are usually so problem-free, we don't talk about that as much as the incubation trial and errors! That said, there is a fabulous broody hen hatch thread here that I think you'll enjoy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...en-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread/0_30

Best of luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! She sounds like she is being a great broody hen!! Please do pop by the link that Sumi left for you. I found it most helpful when I had my first broody. As an incubator hatcher I found the whole natural hen process fascinating.

Wishing you the very best of luck with her and enjoy BYC :frow

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

I am very excited you joined us at BYC Paige Radden! As sumi already answered your question I just wanted to welcome you (it is kinda my specialty here on BYC!) If you have any questions post them in one of our various forums, and if you just wanna meet some of us just send a PM (personal message) and we will make you feel right at home! I can welcome you on behalf of all of BYC that we are glad that you joined our community and I welcome you to our roost! All the best of luck, and if you ever need help just give a holler!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

This has been a wonderful experience! All six turkey eggs hatched! But one only lived 24 hours :(
But the other 5 are healthy and happy at 8 days old today. My hen, Violet, has been the picture of a perfect mom.
I love listening to her talk to her chicks and watch how closely then listen and respond!
I am hooked :)

Back
Top Bottom