Broody hen sitting outside 38 degrees etc... questions....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by armedtodream, Oct 8, 2011.

1. armedtodream

armedtodream Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Hello everyone, I have an 8 month old Barred Rock gone broody who is sitting on a large clutch of eggs outside under the rose bush. I live in North Idaho & it's getting to be winter here. It was 38 degrees last night. I have 2 questions, one- is it possible for her hatch a clutch au naturale outside when it's going to be getting down to freezing? Can instincts be trusted for her to keep the babies warm enough once hatched? Thanks so much!

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Its a hard one to predict as the nights are growing longer and instinct may make her give up. However if she's sitting tight the eggs should be ok and she'll know what to do. We've had geese sitting tight in a snowfall and the eggs were ok. Just keep an eye on the little ones when they hatch. Might be an idea to transfer the whole family to an outbuilding when they hatch if you can [​IMG]

3. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    I agree with pete55, just keep a close eye on her. I had a broody that hatched a clutch in late October a couple years ago (I think it was her third for the year) She did fine outside for a couple of weeks (even with a small snow storm), unfortunately a predator got her one night and I ended up finishing raising her poor babies inside!

4. armedtodream

armedtodream Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Thanks so much you guys!My instinct is to go with her instinct but I know they aren't infallible so just wanted to see what people with more experience thought. Thanks for the time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by