Broody hen stages...

JadedPhoenix

Songster
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Tyro-Lexington, NC
I have a silkie who has been on one of the nests every time I've gone outside for the last couple of days so I have the feeling she is TRYING to go broody. The thing is, she has moved every time I've nudged her to move so I could collect the eggs so I don't believe she is fully broody just yet. Could someone tell me what to look for when she is fully broody so I know whether or not to make sure she has two or three eggs under her so it won't be for nothing (she was just sitting on shavings this last time because I took the eggs away from her this morning). After I shoo her off of the nest she does join the rest of the flock so I know she is getting food and water right now so I'm not worried about her health just yet. Just curious.

When they get full blown broody, they stay on the nest 24hrs with just coming out a couple of times a day for food/water. If you approach them in the nest some may growl or hiss or peck you..but all will fluff their feathers and flare their tails.

Does she hunker down, puff up and growl at you? Those are usually sure signs of a broody hen. If you want to see if she is going to stick with it, you can place fake eggs, round smooth rocks or golf balls under her and see if she stays at it. If she does and you decide to set eggs, make sure you only place them under her after you have gathered all you want to set. Do not put eggs under her at all different times. Also, if she is setting where other hens can get into her nest, you'll want to mark the eggs you set and then remove all new "donations" daily, leaving only your marked eggs. I've found non-broody hens just LOVE to "share" their eggs with the broodies.

The majority of my hens lay in other locations. Only the silkie and one cochin lay their eggs in the coop that she is in. The others prefer one of the other three coops. I figured that if she goes fully broody I'd put about three or four eggs under her from one of my larger hens since I'd love to have some more Augsburger babies. Though I may keep one silkie egg just to see what a silkie/augsburger cross would look like. LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom