Broody hen still laying - help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by big mami, Nov 9, 2009.

1. big mami

big mami Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have a funny situation: a broody hen who is still laying an egg a day. After a few days of her monopolizing the nesting box and a night of sleeping in it, I finally put her in a wire dog kennel up on big planter pots. She has nowhere to nest, but laid an egg anyway this morning and it broke (don't know how) and fell through the cage on to the ground. I think my kittens ate it. Before putting her in the kennel, I knew she was still laying and would have to reach under her to get the egg each day. Since I can't put any nest into the kennel (would defeat the purpose), do I just have to lose the egg each day? I was going to keep her there for 3 days, but since she's still laying, should I try letting her out earlier?

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    hi
    i have no idea what is happening
    butmaybe every egg that she lays you could
    just replace it whith a fake egg?
    [​IMG]
    luke.

3. big mami

Oct 15, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Actually, I'm trying to break her broodiness, not encourage it. My confusion is that broody hens usually stop laying, and when they resume laying you know they're done being broody and can go back to the flock. My confused hen is BOTH brood AND laying, so I don't know how long to keep her in isolation to break her broodiness. Anyone experience this before?

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe she isn't really broody?

5. big mami

Oct 15, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Good news - after just shy of three days in "chicken jail", she's no longer broody and back where she belongs. Unfortunately, since the last post she has stopped laying, so we'll just have to wait until she starts up again. Anyone know how long that might be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by