broody hen stopped sitting...help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by metchosinhens, Jan 26, 2014.

1. metchosinhens

metchosinhens New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
    Hello friends, First time with a broody hen ive let her sit on a clutch of eggs in hopes of getting some chicks. Eggs are set to hatch around Friday and now all of a sudden hen doesn't want to sit on eggs any more and she wants out of her pen. What should I do? Put eggs under a heat lamp for a few more days? please help? Cheers

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Either put her and the eggs in a small dark place so she has no choice but to sit (letting out to eat and drink of course) or pop them in your bra or underarm (whatever you have). You may want to candle the eggs to make sure they are good first as they usually give up when they are no longer good. Sometimes the eggs are good and that is when we need to step in. If this is her first time brooding I would give her another chance at brooding. However, if she has done this before I suggest taking measures to break her from being broody next time because you don't want her to give up on mothering too.

3. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    I had same problem...we ended up moving to an incubator .. it was sort of a nightmare. How long has she been off of them? Maybe keeping her in a dark place and blocking her into the nest? We tried that w/ a dog kennel that we used for a nest. Just an idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by