Broody hen stopped taking care of her chick

Auroras

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2017
Hello everybody,
I'm new so I have no idea how to use the website, where to ask my questions, so I hope I'm
Doing this the right way.
About my question here it is :
I have a broody hen but because the weather got so cold only one egg hatched, you can't imagine how excited and happy I was. But, saddly, the hen stopped caring for her baby chick gradually ,at first she took care of him and protected him but after like a month she stopped feeding him she will just eat all the food than she stopped protecting him he will go so far away from her and she wouldn't even go after him and today she was running away from him he was trying to get under her because of the cold weather and she wouldn't let him so I got him inside the house, put him in a shoe box and in front of a heater he wouldn't eat at first and it broke my heart to pieces I thought he would die but after a while he ate and drank water and pooped which means he's okay right ? but I noticed that he breaths so quickly like he's panting I don't know if that's normal ? I also want to ask why the chicken stopped taking care of her chick ? Did she stop being broody because of the cold weather ? I don't know what to do. Oh and I forgot to mention that this mother hen layed an egg today !!
It just broke my heart, he was so sad, won't even eat or move why was she so cruel ?
Excuse me if I butchered your language it's not my native language you see.
I hope everyone have a good day and thank you.

I suppose I made a mistake this supposed to be asked in another thread ? Not in "pictures and stories of my chickens" I'm sorry :hit

welcome-byc.gif
It's just the sad reality of them growing up. Some hens care for their chicks much longer, but some wean early. Not cruel on her part just what she is genetically programed to do. Your use of English is excellent.

Thank you so much :D so to her, he has grown up and could take care of himself but he's still so little I hope he won't just die ! You think he'll die without his mother at this age ?

Last edited:
If the temperatures where you live are not too cold, he should be okay.

Generally chicks have brood mates for company and to snuggle with for warmth, but he was a solitary chick - makes the whole process harder on him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom