Broody hen stopped taking care of her chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Auroras, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Auroras

Auroras Just Hatched

Jan 7, 2017
    Hello everybody,
    I'm new so I have no idea how to use the website, where to ask my questions, so I hope I'm
    Doing this the right way.
    About my question here it is :
    I have a broody hen but because the weather got so cold only one egg hatched, you can't imagine how excited and happy I was. But, saddly, the hen stopped caring for her baby chick gradually ,at first she took care of him and protected him but after like a month she stopped feeding him she will just eat all the food than she stopped protecting him he will go so far away from her and she wouldn't even go after him and today she was running away from him he was trying to get under her because of the cold weather and she wouldn't let him so I got him inside the house, put him in a shoe box and in front of a heater he wouldn't eat at first and it broke my heart to pieces I thought he would die but after a while he ate and drank water and pooped which means he's okay right ? but I noticed that he breaths so quickly like he's panting I don't know if that's normal ? I also want to ask why the chicken stopped taking care of her chick ? Did she stop being broody because of the cold weather ? I don't know what to do. Oh and I forgot to mention that this mother hen layed an egg today !!
    It just broke my heart, he was so sad, won't even eat or move why was she so cruel ?
    Excuse me if I butchered your language it's not my native language you see.
    I hope everyone have a good day and thank you.

2. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    If you have any means of keeping him inside just bring him indoors just raise him yourself. It's super easy and not even that messy. I don't know anything about raising a baby in this situation outdoors, but I imagine it can be dangerous.

You can reintroduce him to the flock when he is a bit older (but not if it's too cold, because the chick might not have down feathers from being inside. Slowly introduce it to cold weather a few hours at a time.)

Its super exciting and fun raising a chick indoors and takes few supplies and not to much time.

If you plan on keeping him in the house now, he's probably okay of he's eating and drinking. Just monitor him closely and keep him warm. Keep us updated

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. Auroras

Auroras Just Hatched

Jan 7, 2017
    Thank you so much for answering. I'm absolutely planning on raising him on my own inside the house because it got so cold this past few days and he's still so little he fits in my palm no way he can live outside. Thank you for the advice, I had no idea about the down feathers.
    Since it's night time here, I just left him to sleep in the shoe box on an old glove made of wool in the hope of warming him and I put a hole through the box so he's able to breath and the shoe box is in front of a heater. Hope that's enough.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

the chick is over a month old? that's pretty much when hens quite taking care of babies, around 4-7 weeks after hatching. she's not being cruel, or mean, she's just decided it's time for the chick to move on. Everyone's got to grow up sometime.

Where are you located? How cold are we talking about?

do you have other chickens? Has the chick been with them? has it been roosting with momma, or still sleeping on the ground?

If you have other birds, and the chick has been roosting, I'd put it in with them. At over a month, it should be well feathered and able to tolerate pretty cold temps.

5. Auroras

Auroras Just Hatched

Jan 7, 2017
    It is pretty cold out, today especially, it's 9┬░celcus and yes I have other chickens and he was with them this morning actually and they pecked him so hard he was screaming and his mother didn't even react that's why I decided to get him inside. I don't think he could sleep outside on his own at all, he's not fully feathered he still looks like he's just got born only his wings are developed, he's taking so long to grow up. I don't know his breed but his mother has really short legs not like normal chicken she's like a dwarf with extremely silky feathers and a beautiful huge crown of feathers on her head, the rooster is the same breed as the hen he's short and the chick, I call him wanderer, is the same.

6. Auroras

Auroras Just Hatched

Jan 7, 2017
    [​IMG]
    This him. He's not chirping at all he's completely silent all day except when I leave him alone he starts chirping so loud and he's always sitting. The poor baby

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chick, based on appearance, is not ready to be weaned. Something is very much wrong with it. Get it inside where it is warm and dry. If intent is to bring it back to health, then get some fresh chick starter feed into it and start process within the heath / emergencies forum to figure out what is likely the problem and how to fix.

8. Auroras

Auroras Just Hatched

Jan 7, 2017
    Okay, thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by