1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen swapping??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Critter Crazy, May 29, 2007.

1. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Okay here is the deal. I have a broody hen sitting on 12 eggsat day 10, I also have 14 eggs in the incubator, and another hen has gone broody! So what I was thinking was this. The eggs in the incubator are on day 16, in two days I stop turning, so what i was thinking was to take those eggs, and place them under my first broody hen. Then I would take the eggs from under her, and place them under the new broody hen. I just figure if I have two broodies, I wont have to worry about brooder boxes anymore:lol: and this way, my new broody will be happy, and I wont have to have more babies hatch, cause at this rate I will already have over 50 birds!![​IMG]

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Smart [​IMG] ! That's what I would do [if I had thought of such a plan].

What type of eggs are you hatching?

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  3. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    They are just my own Mixed breed eggs. I am very curious to see what I come up with![​IMG]

4. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Congrats on the 2 broody hens! I would totally put the eggs under her. that makes less work and worry for you. You might have a better hatch rate if they spend the last days under a hen. Just a thought.
    Kristyne [​IMG]

5. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Yeah I am gonna go for it!! I have a total of 30 birds now. with the one broody sitting on 12 eggs, and the 14 eggs in the incubator, I could end up with 56 birds!![​IMG] he he he he!! and to think I told hubby that I was just getting a few![​IMG] Thank god he new better and built a nice big coop for me!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ummmm...make that 66!!! I just remembered the 13th of June, i am supposed to be getting 10 more chicks shipped!!! I ordered those Before My hens when broody!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  6. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    WOOO! Let us know how it all turns out. Chickens are addictive, I started wtith 4 and my next 14 (plus "males for warmth") should be here on Thursday! I cant wait. I LVOE them and I want more. good thing I have the room!
    Kristyne

7. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Oh yes!! chickens are like Lays potato chips, you cant have just one!! [​IMG]

I am sure hoping for a good hatch. I am excited, first batch off eggs is due on Sunday, and the next batch is due the following saturday! Kind of nice how it worked out to be weekends!![​IMG]

8. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Lucky you that it worked out to be weekends! How did the hen take her new eggs? Did it all go well?
    Kristyne

9. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Havent traded eggs yet, gonna do that tonight. Fingers crossed![​IMG]

10. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you! you will have to post and let me know. i will be on, I always am. LOL
    Kristyne [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by