Broody Hen Switch-a-roo Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scooterward, Jul 28, 2011.

1. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    Can one broody hen start sitting on a batch of eggs then a different hen kick her out and take over??

I have read that one hen may help out the broody hen by sitting on the eggs while the expectant momma goes to eat and do her business but this is different. Rebekah recently hatched her baby (Bella) on May 15th and has raised and weaned her (much to Bella's squawking). Sophia went broody so we bought her some fertile eggs. Rebekah helped out here and there but the night before last, went into the nest box WITH Sophia and neither left. Then since then, Rebekah has diligently been on the nest. After Sophia was done galavanting around for hours on end, now is in the nest box beside her. Sitting on nothing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Melissa

PS: They are due to hatch the 2nd week of August if that makes a difference.

2. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Yep, my hens done the exact same thing about 3 months ago. [​IMG]

It started out with Sonny setting, then Katie wanted to help and I often found them in the

nest together. Then Katie decided to totally take over and wouldn't let Sonny back on the

nest, and Sonny moved to the next nest and sat on absolutely nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by