Broody hen take 1 wk olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coolchickens, Feb 16, 2009.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - I have a question so I can make a decision by Thurs. when an order of GLW chicks come into the feed store. The only GLW chicks they have ordered arrive 19th and my broody hen is due to hatch the following wk on the 26th. I was planning on adding a couple day old chicks (plym rocks) under her that arrive the day before her hatching day but would LOVE to have those GLW chicks! Is a wk old chick too old to sneak under a mama and have her not know its hers? She is a very good mama and accepted the day olds last Fall without a problem but a wk old is getting a little bigger. Any suggestions? Thanks - Sharon

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I would be careful doing it, in my limited broody experience it depends on the hen. If you put chicks under her, she may abandon the eggs before the last ones get a chance to hatch. My broody hatched one chick, then sat on the remaining eggs for a week, but then walked away, and we had to do the rest ourselves. But she did take the chicks, so she raised a brood that had a week and a half difference from first to last, but the last one out is definetly the bottom of the pecking order, and the under dog.

The older chicks may bully your newbies pretty bad too.

I no longer let my broodies keep thier eggs, I raise the babies myself, I get better personalities that way, and I am mommy, not just the bringer of treats!

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by