Broody Hen trying to bite chick's feet off.

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
Broody hen hatched one chick. On day 2, I noticed it had bloody toes and the mom kept trying to peck them. I sprayed the toes with Alushield (aerosol bandage) and put tape over them like chick shoes so she couldn't get at them.

Now it's day 4 and the chick shoes have fallen off. Toes are sprayed with Alushield so they are colored gray (originally he had pink toes). Hen still pecking at chick's toes but they are out of the nest so he can run away.

Will a hen pecking at a chick's toes cause long term damage like broken bones or dislocated toes?

She has hatched and raised other clutches before and this never happened. Maybe the heat is stressing her out.

I would setup a mouse trap anyway. Or move hen and hatched brood to an indoor location tonight for observation. Mice may not be coming from your coop initially. If the mouse world is having problems, they can move in mass.

I would setup a mouse trap anyway. Or move hen and hatched brood to an indoor location tonight for observation. Mice may not be coming from your coop initially. If the mouse world is having problems, they can move in mass.
i can set a mouse trap, but I already moved them indoors for a day (to treat the injured chick) and she was still biting at the chick's feet the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom