broody hen - unfertile eggs...can i sneak 2 week old chicks under?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, May 3, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    as the title says basically!
    i have a hen thats now on day 30(!) of sitting, ive taken most of the eggs away as they started smelling but now she keeps stealing 'fresh' eggs.
    i feel its cruel to let her sit another 21 days, so would it be possible to sneak some 'older' chicks under her?

im unsure how a) she would react and b) how the chicks would react (they havent had a mom for 2 weeks) the chicks are bantams so still very small........

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can try it, but I think at 2 weeks, it is kind of high risk. Some broodies will take them no problem but some will try to kill them. And the two week olds may have trouble bonding with the hen. I'd probably try it, but I'd be around where I could resuce at least some of the chicks if it did not work. As I said, I think it is high risk. Maybe just risk a couple of the chicks?

If you can get some just a couple of days old and put them under her at night, I think your odds of success are pretty good.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I tried it with some TSC chicks, I'd say they were 3 or 4 days old, and she kicked them out of the nest.

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    oh there goes that idea then!
    in 10 days i should have chicks hatching in the 'bator, so i'll let her sit it out another 10 days...if she's still on the nest i'll pop a few of the eggs under her the night before they should hatch.....

poor hen is determined she wants babies!

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I have done it. Just do it at night when they are settled down. Stay and watch. I had 3 broodies and only two would take babies the thrid pecked at them. So it is possible and it will not hurt to try.

6. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    She may think MY what big babies I had !

7. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    I put 3 week old chicks under a broody cuckoo marans last night, and she has totally accepted them, no fuss at all! I was shocked! Previously I had tried day-olds under an EE, and it did not go over well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by