Broody Hen vs First Time Layer

Wasquechicks

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
I got my first flock of chickens around 6 months ago. The hens are older (around 3 years). To supplement my older hens, I recently introduced some younger pullets. With the exception of some minor bullying, everyone gets along. One of my Welsummer pullets is looking like she may be ready to lay her first egg. Her comb has become bright red, and she spends lots of time in the coop or nest boxes. At the same time one of my Cohin mix hens appears to have gone broody. She is VERY aggressive and won't let this younger chicken into the coop or boxes. I don't mind having a broody hen, I had even thought of letting her hatch some eggs, but I can't have her taking control of the entire coop. She doesn't even spend time sitting on a nest, she just guards the door of the coop to prevent anyone else from coming in. I imagine that laying that first egg is stressful enough. I hate seeing my younger chicken attacked just for trying to use a nest box. What are my options? Should I put a homemade nest box outside the coop? Should I separate the broody hen? Please help!

A broody hen will sit in the nestboxes. Yours sounds like a bully. I would remove her, the bully for a few days, it's possible she could be pre broody too.

Picked up a dog crate today. Broody/bully hen is moving out. If she sits on and hatches any eggs, I figure the crate will be a good way to keep her and the chicks separate until they're old enough to integrate into the flock.

Picked up a dog crate today. Broody/bully hen is moving out. If she sits on and hatches any eggs, I figure the crate will be a good way to keep her and the chicks separate until they're old enough to integrate into the flock.
It might be a good place for her to set and hatch eggs,
if there's enough room for food/water far enough away from nest for her to get up eat-drink-poop-stretch,
but you'll want to let her and the chicks out a few days after chicks hatch so she can integrate chicks into flock..

Great, thanks! I've ordered her some Black Copper Maran eggs for her to sit on. Hope they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom