Broody Hen vs. Incubator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Preservation Acres, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I'm wanting to become a breeder. I'd really like to let broody hens do all the work for me and avoid using an incubator. How naive am I?

Be kind... [​IMG]

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    When I was paying $60.00 for a doz of eggs to hatch, I put em under a hen, not in the bator, I know if they were in a bator I would mess something up and get nothing to hatch, so I made a hen go to set and had a good hatch. Thank God for a good ol broody hen..........

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You just want to make sure that the hen is broody before you stick the eggs under her. I would get some of her eggs, shake them up ( so they cant develop ), and let her sit for a week to know she is fully broody. I'll be letting my hens sit this year, so I can hatch lots. lol [​IMG]

ETA: WELCOME TO BYC!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks! So if I put a dozen or so eggs in a nest box, will one of my hens typically volunteer for the job of brooder? How do you get a hen to go broody?

5. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:Thanks! The people here are wonderful. And so helpful!

6. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:If your looking for a breed that goes broody on the drop of a hat, I would suggest getting a couple silkie pullets to do the job. I have silkies that will go broody when there are no eggs to sit on. I also have to make sure to collect the eggs everyday, otherwise I have hens sitting. And when one goes broody, the others follow.

7. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Making a hen go broody is very simple, all you have to do is NOT want the hen to go broody and she will, other than that there is no way to make one go broody they just do it when they want.

8. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:lol. Thats true. [​IMG]

9. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Yes so far in all my years or raising birds that is about the easiest way to get them to go broody.

10. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Funny and Informative. You're all my kinda people.

I've heard about silkies and their broodiness. Sounds like a plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by