Broody Hen Wanted

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenwhispere, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Chickenwhispere

Chickenwhispere Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Hi there![​IMG] I Just ordered a 12 chicks (Welsummers) from Pap's Poultry in WesternPort, Maryland. I Homeschool my kids and I thought it would be neat to perhaps adopt a broody hen and have her raise our chicks. Forgive me if this is unusual, I am new to raising chickens and I don't know all the "rules" to raising chicks or even if this idea would work...[​IMG]
    Is this something people do often? Or is it just my crazy mind that has thought of this..?? I would LOVE [​IMG] if someone would give me their broody hen (as crazy as that sounds) I would pay as much as you want (within reason). I am located in Montgomery County, MD so I would prefer this hen to live nearby...because I don't know if it would be a good idea to mail a broody hen.[​IMG] THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! After sitting for hours in front of my computer on this website [​IMG] reading about chickens/raising chicks [​IMG] I am soooo EXCITED to get themm!![​IMG] THANKSS [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I have heard of people adding a chick or two to the group a broody is raising but with limited success. I think moving a broody hen from her nest will upset her enough to where she wont take the chicks but I am no expert this is just things I have read in the past. So getting someone elses broody probably wont work out. Good luck

3. Chickenwhispere

Mar 3, 2011
    Ok...thank you:) like I said I am new to raising chickens. You're prob. right about removing a broody hen from her nest, I don't really see how this Idea could work out...[​IMG] Thanksss anyway!![​IMG]

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

A Broody is a funny, moody, tempermental thing (think any hormonal female). [​IMG] Sometimes just moving a Broody from one nest to a safer one will set her off...so I think moving her to a completely different home where nothing is familiar would probably not work. But I like the idea... RENT-A BROODY! [​IMG]

Your kids and you will love hand raising your chicks and hand raised birds are friendlier when they grow up anyway. And one of these days you will probably have a Broody of your own and that is another different lesson for your kids! [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun with your chicks! [​IMG]

5. mmaddie's mom

OH... and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1`

6. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Few years back I did borrow a friends broody hen and brought her to my place ... Not only did she sit, she hatched out about 20 silkie babies. So I guess it just depends on the hen.

7. Chickenwhispere

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks for all of your comments!! I LOVE this website. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mmaddie's mom

Quote:Huh!?! I guess nothing is impossible and nothing speaks the truth like a first hand experience!

If you do find a broody close and you try this, make sure to post and tell us YOUR experience!

9. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Come on over! i have two broody bantam cochins who have been sitting on the same nest together for a month. ON NO EGGS! Whatever.......

10. Chickenwhispere

Mar 3, 2011
    Oh...funny broody chickens...[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by