Broody hen wants babys?

bobthebunny

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
I have a little girl named Ducky. She's been laying for about 2 months. and now for the first time she's gone broody. I want to get fertilized eggs from another hen because I have no rooster and I don't want one. So if you know anything about transferring eggs how long she's gonna be broody how long the eggs can survive in that drive home please help thanks. Ava

My broody hen sat on golf balls for week until I collected all the eggs I wanted her to hatch and a night off work to make the transfer. I kept the eggs at room temp until I put them under her. Put the eggs under her at night so you don't upset her and possibly break up her broody state of mind. I put the eggs in a nest I prepared in the brood area and moved her to them in the middle of the night. She never got upset and when she woke up the next morning she never realized that the 4 golf balls had turned into 8 eggs. Ha ha chickens can't count. She continued to sit for 3 weeks until the eggs hatched. Just don't make the transfer during the day. The trick is to do it when they are good and sleepy. Good luck!!

She's been broody for like 2 weeks now will she still sit in there for another 8 weeks? Texas and my best friend has fertilized eggs thank you though.
big_smile.png

She's been broody for like 2 weeks now will she still sit in there for another 8 weeks? Texas and my best friend has fertilized eggs thank you though.
big_smile.png

8 weeks? Is it going to take you another five weeks to get the eggs? It only takes 3 weeks for eggs to hatch once they are "set" and then the hen takes the chicks out of the nest to raise them.

Last edited:
She got out of the nesting box for the box for the first time in a long time does that mean shes done sitting there?

She got out of the nesting box for the box for the first time in a long time does that mean shes done sitting there?

That depends - did she get out, eat, drink, poo and spend a short time out of the box before returning or did she get out, spend the day with the flock and roost with them at night?

She got out about noon and spent about 3 hours out give me about 10 mins when the sun sinks to see if she roosts.

Back
Top Bottom