Broody hen? What's going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Monstertone, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    My six month old Cuckoo Maran just started laying eggs about 3 weeks ago, and now it seems as though it's gotten broody. It lays its eggs in my dog's house, and the last two days won't leave the eggs. I just reached in to try and shoo her off them, and she pecked at me!

I didn't think hens got broody until they were older. What is going on? Should I seriously try to shoo her off? Help!

Tom

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sure sounds like she is broody.

The best way to break a broody is to keep her in a small cage off the ground with a wire bottom for three or four days. The wire bottom keeps her undersides cool, which seems to help. Give her food and water and she should be fine. Do not give her anything that looks like a nest or nesting materials.

If you don't have the wire cage, any small cage will do, but it might take a little longer. Just find a way to keep her from going back to her nest.

3. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Hey, I just happen to think - I may be getting some new chicks on Saturday. Do you think I could put them with the hen, and she would think they are hers and start to care for them?

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i dont have any experience but I read an article that said you should wait 2-3 weeks before trying to give her chicks, even then she may or may not take them. You should give her fake eggs to sit on till then. But they should also be no more than 2 days old when you do it.

My rir hen is hatching chicks as we speak , 2 so far, and she wont be a year old till May.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've never tried it. As long as you have the set-up for her to raise them and are able to monitor and are prepared to intervene if she rejects them, it's worth a shot. If you are not prepared to monitor and intervene if necessary, it could be disastrous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by