1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen: when to move her?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by supergirl105, Jan 4, 2017.

1. supergirl105

supergirl105 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    The last few days when feeding I've noticed my Silkie sitting on her eggs, and pecked at me when I've tried to move her. My first broody! Only problem... No rooster. So I did what any sane person would do, I bid on some eggs on eBay to put underneath her. I'm in West Texas so temperatures aren't too extreme. [​IMG]
    Now, here is the unique situation. I got her over the summer, along with her chick and 4 peacocks that she hatched and raised. When we moved the peas to their juvenile pen I just moved the two silkies with them, because I've got a huge mixed flock and didn't want them to get overrun by the bigger birds.
    In reading it seems like I might want to wait until the chicks hatch to move mom and babies to the brooder house, or can I leave them all in with the peacocks?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be concerned that the peafowl would peck at and possibly kill the chicks. I'd move the hen and chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by