1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen - will she accept 6 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by busylizzie, Sep 19, 2009.

1. busylizzie

busylizzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Through a series of mini dramas - I have a broody outside sitting on fake eggs (recovering from red mites) and 7 chicks inside......3 are orpingtons which hatched yesterday and 4 are black silkies which hatched on Monday.....my ideal situation is that tonight - once the new delux coop and enclosed run has been finished I will put broody and add the babies in the evening.....and Happy Ever After.....

anyone like to comment on how likely you think this will be? OR if you have an alternative solution I would love to hear it.

Many thanks [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Best to do it at night and then watch her like a hawk for the first few hours in the AM.

Sometimes they will accept the chicks as their own, sometimes they will kill them.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with Mahonri!!!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think it's more of a question whether they will accept her. A hen will take just about any small chick, as long as she doesn't have other babies, and they aren't too old. But chicks have to learn their mama's voice, which is why you'll often hear the mama clucking softly when the eggs are in the last few days of brooding.

You'll want to keep them locked up together for a while after you give them to her, so they learn who their mama is. [​IMG]

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Don't forget to let us know what you decide to do, and ultimately if you do try it - what happens.

6. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Maybe it will work for you, but I tried it and it didn't work for me. Get up early to observe and see what is happening with them. Luckily I got to mine early before any damage was done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by