Broody hen? ..winter issues?

PlentifulPrairie

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi I think I have a broody hen.
She is only 26 weeks and 3 days. I read hens don't go broody so young? But I think she is? I've never had a broody hen until possibly now. She has been spending all her time in the best box. I take her out and she puffs up, she's incredibly warm on her belly, she doesn't peck at me. But she runs right back to the coop/nest after I've taken her out and made her eat. She puffs up while doing this too. She's a Buff Orpington.

I've been removing the eggs from her, I think other hens are laying them.

She definitely doesn't have any signs of a bound egg, I've dealt with that already a couple times, but not with her.

1. Does this sound broody?
2. It's cold here, freezing temps just started at night, we'll probably have snow in November possibly sooner. Can a baby chick survive winter? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have had several hens go broody that were under a year old. If they are old enough to lay they are old enough to go broody. Hens (and pullets) can raise chicks in winter. I had a hen raise chicks last February. The biggest challenge was keeping them supplied with chick safe water. One of those chicks is currently sitting on her own eggs.
With a pullet going broody that young I would expect her to go broody again. Maybe next time it will be more favorable weather.

I have had several hens go broody that were under a year old. If they are old enough to lay they are old enough to go broody. Hens (and pullets) can raise chicks in winter. I had a hen raise chicks last February. The biggest challenge was keeping them supplied with chick safe water. One of those chicks is currently sitting on her own eggs.
With a pullet going broody that young I would expect her to go broody again. Maybe next time it will be more favorable weather.
I'm hoping so!

Back
Top Bottom