Broody Hen with 2 dead babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chikalady, Jun 28, 2010.

1. chikalady

chikalady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I have a hen setting on a dozen eggs. There hatch date is July 1st. Yesterday I checked on her and found a dead baby chick. She is not a very nice hen at all. I removed the baby and checked the rest of the eggs. She had another cracked egg but it looked like maybe she might have steped on it. It was not leaking anything out and did not smell. None of the other eggs had pipped. I left it in there just to make sure. This morning I checked and she had another dead chick in there. I am not sure if it is the same egg that was cracked yesterday. I don't want to mess too much with the hen because she hates when I get close. Both babies did not seem to be injured or bleeding. the first chick seem to be born too early because there was alot of dried yolk in the nest and on the other eggs. It has been very hot here for the last couple of weeks and very humid. Should I just remove the rest of the eggs or just wait.
    I had another hen abandon her eggs yesterday and they are due to hatch on the 4th of July. I put them in an incubator after she would not come back to the nest after a couple of hours. She would just get up in another nest box and set with no eggs under her. Both hens have been wonderful for the past few weeks and have been very faithful, and only come off their nest once a day to eat and go to the bathroom. This is the first time both hens have gone broody.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd get the eggs in the incubator, then see if she accepts a few fuzzy butts after they've dried. You never know...

3. chikalady

chikalady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I thought of putting them in the incubator but I just put 13 eggs in my incubator yesterday when the other broody abandoned them they are due to hatch on the 4th. They are in a incubator with an egg turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by