Broody hen with 2 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SuburbanChickFarmer, May 22, 2010.

1. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    I have a hen who is broody, she's not even laying her own eggs, but when the other hens lay eggs, she immediately sits on them until I come to get them. This actually worked very well during the winter, I never worried about eggs freezing! I have decided to add some new chicks to my flock due to egg production going down. I have all hens. I bought some chicks when I believe are about 2 weeks old, they have wing feathers and are starting to get tail feathers. Can I put them with the broody hen to take care of? I thought maybe if she had some of her own babies, she will stop being broody. She has been like this since last June, so just about a year. I tried to let her hatch a clutch of eggs (we had a roo at the time) but she ate the eggs! Do you think putting these chicks with her is a good idea or should I just let well enough alone and leave them separate until they are old enough to go to the big house? Thanks for all your experienced help!

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm having my first experiences with a hen that hatched out 3 chicks April 22-24. She hasn't been interested in any more broody action! She's busy teaching her brood to be chickens, and where to find all the goodies out here free-ranging.[​IMG] I guess all you can do is try & see what your hen will do with those eggs.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  3. micaheart

micaheart Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I have tried that before with varied results. I had two broody hens once. One of them hatched some chicks and was not a good mom and was mean to them. I took them away and gave them to the other hen who was a very loving mom to them.

THe other time, I tried giving some chicks to a broody mom (since we did not have a rooster or any fertilized eggs) and she pecked at them and would not accept them.

SO, I think you just have to try and see what happens. Just be close by in case...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by