broody hen with 20 eggs hidden

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newmommahen, Nov 2, 2011.

1. newmommahen

newmommahen New Egg

Aug 30, 2011
    have a young buff orpington who I thought should have been laying by now but hadnt seen anything. I went lookin for her today and found her in the rosemary bush looking a little cranky. She sat there for over an hour and when she left it, I investigated the bush, I found 20 eggs. They are likely fertilized, because I have a rooster. What do you suggest I do with the eggs: any chance they are viable? They have been out in 40 degree weather overnight but the days have been warm 70 - 80.

I originally posted this in the chicken behavior section, but think it is better here - if you think that these eggs can be hatched, please give me some advice.
    Thank you!

2. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Yes there's a very good chance at least half of them would still be good. are you considering incubating them?

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hens keep them plenty warm. If your days tend to stay in the range you posted, IMO let her hatch the eggs. When she gets off for her time to stretch and feed, that might be the time when cold weather could effect the eggs. My BO hatched 11 out of 13, 9 days ago, in similar weather. Note: I did take the chicks at hatch to brood in a safe, warm place and put BO in the coop. Every one is happy.

Is she in a safe place where predators can't get her?? She needs to be in a safe, secure place for obvious reasons.

GL

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hens keep them plenty warm. If your days tend to stay in the range you posted, IMO let her hatch the eggs. When she gets off for her time to stretch and feed, that might be the time when cold weather could effect the eggs. My BO hatched 11 out of 13, 9 days ago, in similar weather. Note: I did take the chicks at hatch to brood in a safe, warm place and put BO in the coop. Every one is happy.

Is she in a safe place where predators can't get her?? She needs to be in a safe, secure place for obvious reasons.

GL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by