Broody Hen with a cold??

MissChessy

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
Texas
I have a broody hen who is sitting on 8 eggs right now. I went out this morning to check on her and I noticed that she has some clear drainage around her beak and eye. I think she has a cold. Her top comb is very pale in color as she has been broody for over a month now. I just found some fertilized eggs last week and put them under her. Any suggestions on how I should treat her?

Thanks for any information.

Does she weigh enough to go through 3 more weeks of setting? If not I would remove the eggs and give her a clean place to stay and some good food. I am just saying that cause when mine go broody by the end of three weeks their faces are already starting to sink in. Just a thought.
smile.png

do check for ammonia build up in the coop and nest box..
wash the eyes with eye wash or sterile water..
and treat for mites.

I agree with tiki244...if she's been broody for a month..and sits on new eggs..that is too long..
she needs some good food, some extra protein, and vitamins..
and needs to get up and exercise her legs..

check her droppings for worms

do you have any antibiotics on hand? (just in case)
I prefer Tylan 200 or 50 injectible...

Last edited:
Well, ladies, I thought she might have a cold, but as it turns out it was egg whites. I found that she is sitting only on 5 eggs instead of 8. I think the other young hens broke some of her eggs she was sitting on. But I do notice that her box is starting to stink. I'm afraid to move the eggs. Are you not supposed to move or turn the eggs? If I can move her and the eggs, I would clean that nest box out and put those eggs back and her on top of them. Can this be done?

this is one reason I use cardboard boxes with low sides (fill with bedding such as shaving) for a nest box...if it gets dirty (as brooding nests often will) you just carefully placed eggs in new box (the hen will go and sit on them then throw the old box away and then pick up box and place where it needs to be if necessary. In this case you are going to have to don your garden gloves move the hen and eggs and totally clean out the nest .

Back
Top Bottom