broody hen with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickbird, May 21, 2010.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    i have a hen that has just hatched 8 chicks, this is her 2nd hatching in the last year... she is very aggressive when we even try to feed and water her and the chicks and actually trys to kill them to keep them away .. her first chicks we ended up taking them away because of her trying to hurt her chicks if we even tried to put in food and water...she is doing this again with the new chicks......anyone had a hen like this and how did you handle her???? i'm thinking i'm probably going to have to raise these if i don't want the chicks hurt....she has sat for so long....i would like for her to raise them if i can keep them safe???? any suggestions and have you had a hen like this???thanks

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Some hens just don't make good mamas. I had a broody that did great at sitting - but she didn't want any wiggly chicks! She just kicked them out form under her and let them get cold. Needless to say, they ended up in my brooder box. [​IMG]

I don't know if it's possible to reform your girl or not - but maybe this bump will get you some more advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by